Sunday, November 27, 2011

Iron Bowl and Masculine Identity.

*Warning this post contains subjective introspective speculation.

I have lived and continue to live in the Birmingham Al, area. Thus yesterday was as I tweeted "the one day of the year that everyone in state is equally belligerent." There are exceptions to this, like my history prof. who could really care less.

I have worked on saturday this entire football season, on top of this I have schoolwork and business as a Student leader when I'm not working. So when it came to be football time this season, I was nowhere to be found. Till yesterday. I watched the game, well the first half of the first quarter. As an Auburn fan I felt nauseous. I asked myself, why? As some pregame I will tell you that when I was younger I was physically upset by football sometimes. So I had thought about this recently and not experienced it. Till yesterday.

I had thought that the nausea may be caused by the fear of dealing with obnoxious Bama fans. Or by being emotionally tied to the game. Recently on the way back from Toccoa falls Ga with my campus pastor and close friend, I participated in discussion about why men did not come to Church. Identity was one of the ideas tossed about. Here is where I think my football insecurities come from, ultimately I think in the back of my head the fear of being ostracized from Bama fans or others because of my Auburn fanship has the direct correlation with my nausea. My identity and acceptance are on the line for a year, a year of shrugging saying next year, of being really annoyed and on edge. I really don't care about football, it is not important, not to me at least. But this game one game a year has myself and others visibly upset. I think we need to find health in sports. As spectators, we can't let a game ruin our weeks, months, or year if it does, I think you may have issues.

I think often we tie our identity with media consumption, as my pastor would say how repulsive is it to be called a consumer, your designated as someone who consumes things, and that is all you are in some peoples' minds'. So don't add to it by actually finding your identity in media. Find it in Jesus, he who gave his life and gives his righteousness.

Soli Deo Gloria.



No comments:

Post a Comment